Profitable trend following strategies are based on identifying trends and trading according to the direction of the trend. This allows traders to take trades that have a relatively higher probability compared to other trade setups. Different traders take different approaches in identifying trends. Some swear by naked charting, trendlines and channels. Many prefer using moving averages, while others would rather used other trend following indicators. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. However, if any of these approaches are mastered well by a trader, all of it could work and yield some profits.
The PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy is a trend following strategy which is based on indicators. This allows traders to make decisions objectively based on rules and lessen subjective decision making.
Parabolic Stop and Reverse
Parabolic Stop and Reverse, also popularly known as PSAR, is a trend following indicator which was first introduced by J. Welles Wilder, Jr. It plots dots on the price chart to indicate trend direction. If the dots that the PSAR plots are below the current price action the trend is considered bullish. However, if the dots are above price action, then the trend is considered bearish.
The PSAR’s computation revolves around the concept of Extreme Points (EP). Extreme Points refer to the highest value during an uptrend or the lowest value during a downtrend. Because PSAR emphasizes Extreme Points, the values it plots are quite distant from the current price action. In fact, if price reaches these points, the trend is already considered to have already reversed. This why it called Parabolic Stop and Reverse.
Because of the idea that the dots it plots are points wherein the trend is already considered to have reversed, the dots are very well suited to be used as price points to place stop losses or trail stop losses on. It also makes the shifting of the dot’s placement, either above or below price, excellent entry signals. The entry signals generated by the PSAR are at points when the market is considered to have already reversed the trend.
Forex Trend Signals Indicator
The Forex Trend Signals Indicator is a trend following indicator which pinpoints entries based on the trend. It prints lime bars whenever it detects bullish trends and red bars whenever it detects bearish trends. These changing of colors tend to coincide with the changing of the mid-term trend.
The PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy is based on the confluence of the Parabolic Stop and Reverse indicator and the Forex Trend Signals Indicator. These indicators tend to compliment each other, showing entry signals based on the mid-term trend.
- Parabolic Stop and Reverse
- Step: 0.003
- Maximum: 0.2
Timeframe: 1-hour, 4-hour and daily charts
Currency Pairs: major and minor pairs
Trading Session: Tokyo, London and New York sessions
Buy Trade Setup
- The Parabolic Stop and Reverse indicator should start printing dots below price action indicating a bullish mid-term trend
- The Forex Trend Signals indicator should change to lime indicating a bullish mid-term trend
- These bullish reversal signals should be somewhat aligned
- Enter a buy order on the confluence of the above conditions
- Place the stop loss at the support level below the entry candle
- Close the trade as soon as the Parabolic Stop and Reverse indicator prints dots above the price action indicating the start of a bearish mid-term trend
- Close the trade as soon as the Forex Trend Signals indicator changes to red indicating the start of a bearish mid-term trend
Sell Trade Setup
- The Parabolic Stop and Reverse indicator should start printing dots above price action indicating a bearish mid-term trend
- The Forex Trend Signals indicator should change to red indicating a bearish mid-term trend
- These bearish reversal signals should be somewhat aligned
- Enter a sell order on the confluence of the above conditions
- Place the stop loss at the resistance level above the entry candle
- Close the trade as soon as the Parabolic Stop and Reverse indicator prints dots below the price action indicating the start of a bullish mid-term trend
- Close the trade as soon as the Forex Trend Signals indicator changes to lime indicating the start of a bearish mid-term trend
This strategy is an excellent trend following strategy based on the established trend reversal signals indicated by the Parabolic Stop and Reverse indicator and the Forex Trend Signals indicator. Because these indicators indicate entry points on established trend reversals, the probability of price going the direction of the trade is high. However, these indicators are still considered lagging indicators. This might mean that some entry points are already a bit too late and may reverse quickly. If this does happen, price may reverse too deep before the reversal signals are detected, which may cause the trade to lose. To alleviate this traders must move the stop loss to breakeven as soon as possible, without moving it too early, which may cause the stop loss to be prematurely hit.
Forex Trading Strategies Installation Instructions
PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy is a combination of Metatrader 4 (MT4) indicator(s) and template.
The essence of this forex strategy is to transform the accumulated history data and trading signals.
PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy provides an opportunity to detect various peculiarities and patterns in price dynamics which are invisible to the naked eye.
Based on this information, traders can assume further price movement and adjust this strategy accordingly.
Recommended Forex MetaTrader 4 Trading Platform
- Free $50 To Start Trading Instantly! (Withdrawable Profit)
- Deposit Bonus up to $5,000
- Unlimited Loyalty Program
- Award Winning Forex Broker
- Additional Exclusive Bonuses Throughout The Year
>> Claim Your $50 Bonus Here <<
Click Here for Step-By-Step XM Broker Account Opening Guide
How to install PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy?
- Download PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy.zip
- *Copy mq4 and ex4 files to your Metatrader Directory / experts / indicators /
- Copy tpl file (Template) to your Metatrader Directory / templates /
- Start or restart your Metatrader Client
- Select Chart and Timeframe where you want to test your forex strategy
- Right click on your trading chart and hover on “Template”
- Move right to select PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy
- You will see PSAR Trend Forex Trading Strategy is available on your Chart
*Note: Not all forex strategies come with mq4/ex4 files. Some templates are already integrated with the MT4 Indicators from the MetaTrader Platform.
Click here below to download: